Breathe Medical® Mandibular Repositioning Device: Maintenance
You have already invested plenty of time and effort into your new Breathe Medical® Mandibular Repositioning Device. In order to get the best and most long-term use out of your device the following factors should be considered;
Mandibular repositioning devices usually require the present teeth to provide the support and retention. So, their long-term health is pivotal for long-term device success.
An important issue to remember is that any ‘intra-oral appliance’ will increase stagnation in the mouth, as the saliva is less able to flow freely around and between the teeth, normally washing as it goes. This increased stagnation makes the teeth more prone to tooth decay and the gums more prone to ‘gingivitis’ (leading to periodontal disease and potentially eventual tooth loss if left unchecked).
So, a proactive oral health care regime is required, which should include;
- Regular visits to the dentist and hygienist (always recommended) to ensure good oral health or at least deal with matters quickly, should issues arise.
- The correct use of a toothbrush (ideally electric with regularly changed heads), floss and inter-dental brushes to ensure good gum (periodontal) health.
- The correct care for your removable Mandibular Repositioning Device.
The device Maintenance varies between device types;
It is recommended that all Breathe Medical® Devices are cleaned daily to reduce the build-up of hard tartar (mineral calculus deposits) and also to reduce bacterial contamination on the appliance). Devices differ in their material construction, so cleaning varies between devices, see below for details.
- Acrylic Devices (Somnomed & Blue-Pro) – Maintenance instructions
- Metal Devices (Somnowell & Procast) – Maintenance instructions
- CAD/CAM Devices (Narval cc) – Maintenance instructions
Caution: Be very careful with cleaning tablets as they can cause corrosion of metal parts (especially when used in warm water). You must follow instructions of the manufacturer and if in any doubt, contact your supplier for advice.